Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My A.M. Adventure

This morning started out like any other morning. Breakfast, day time clothes, brush teeth and hair, put shoes on and so on. Landry was even at school right on time. I gave her a hug and kiss, walked outside and got in the car and turned the key and turned the key again. Third times a charm, I turned the key again. The only result was a few dashborad lights flickering on and off. What?! The engine would not even turn over. I called Brad and told him what was going on. "It's probably the battery and you need boosting." I called our neighbors Mr. Bill and Mrs. Diane for help. Mrs. Diane said Mr. Bill would be there shortly. Thankfully Landry's school is literally 2 minutes from our house making it the same distance from their house. After a few minutes with cable connection and the school's director's husband coming out we had a running engine. Woohoo!!! I thought "Ok, I can make it home. I just won't go anywhere. Now, when I was on the phone with Brad telling him how I just don't understand he mentioned "...cars can go dead while you're driving them." "That would majorly stink" was my reaction. Well, low and behold, I found out just how much that would stink. There is one majorish intersection between our house and Landry's school and guess what? Yes, the car died about 50 yards from that intersection! I didn't panic I just put the car in park and alerted Mr. Bill as to what was going on. Thank goodness he was right behind me. He put his hazard lights on; mine wouldn't work right, it's like they were on speed...or shorting out due to NO BATTERY POWER. So here's the picture: 3 lanes of traffic, it's 8:30 in morning and people are dropping off kids and trying to get to work and we're like 2 boulders sitting in the lane that people have to go around. After several minutes a cop happened to ride by and see us. He turned around and called another cop. They blocked 2 lanes of traffic, the one we were in and the one beside us so Mr. Bill could pull beside the Honda to boost the battery, again. The cables were connected, we waited, I turned the key and the engine started! Mr. Bill said "Now you rev the engine and get home." I looked up and the light was red. This was scary. What if I went dead a third time? I didn't go dead at the light and I made it home. I let the engine run idle for about 10 minutes...while on the phone telling Brad my a.m. adventure. I didn't hang up with him before turning the engine off to turn it back on again. The engine wouldn't start...again. I am stuck at home today, all day which is why I'm telling you every detail of my morning. I have the time to do so...and it's so fresh on my mind I won't forget anything. Hopefully I will have a new battery before it's time go get Landry...she would have loved the police cars...hhmmmmm.....

1 comment:

The Gapens said...

What an adventure? I'm just glad you are okay and had some neighbors that could help you!